Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Pilsen Top Ten


10. The Churches – from St. Paul’s (my favorite) to St. Adalbert’s and St. Procopius, there are some beautiful churches in Pilsen

9. The Festivals – Fiesta del Sol, Buen Provecho! Pilsen, Mexican Independence Day Parade, Pilsen Open Studios and more. Pilsenites know how to have a good time.

8. The Community – The number of community organizations that come together for the greater good of Pilsen is remarkable. All of them do different things but they all work together.

7. The Art – I love the strong artist community here and the murals are amazing too.

6. 18th Street – If I can walk anywhere within Pilsen I try to make my route directed along this vibrant street. I love the smells, the cacophony that surrounds you, the people and buildings that make up this main artery.

5. Old Commercial Buildings in the Middle of a Residential Street – These were obviously put into place before zoning and every time I pass one, I think of what it would be like when these were all operating as commercial businesses and what it would be like now if that happened.

4. The People – This neighborhood has such a sense of community. People are friendly, help you shovel out your car if you get stuck, say hello to you. It’s just different here. If you’ve read The Death and Life of Great American Cities, it has many parallels to Greenwich Village circa Jane Jacob’s era in Manhattan.

3. Vaulted Sidewalks – These are steadily disappearing, but I love the story they tell of the raised streets.

2. The Food. I can’t say enough, I should almost sub-categorize this. I’ve been working here for over a year, haven’t gotten sick of Mexican food in the least. The bakeries in the morning for conchas and café, the restaurants for lunch and dinner and the few and far between bars for after work, like my favorite, El Trebol. You. just. can’t. miss.

1. The Architecture. From the exterior, I am constantly enchanted by the simple design with the unique architectural elements. I’m surprised I haven’t gotten in a car accident or hit from staring at these buildings. I see new things every time I go out and even on the same block I discover more interesting and unique details that you just don’t see in any other neighborhood. The Bohemian influence is everywhere you look, even in vernacular worker’s cottages. I’m fortunate enough to have gone inside many buildings in Pilsen and can’t get over what remains. One apartment building I was in had beautiful interior wood shutters I was just gushing over. I have seen many buildings with remarkably in-tact tin ceilings, original storefronts and prismatic lights. Buildings with bathrooms in the hallway, tiny bedrooms and gorgeous old stoves still in use.

No comments: